Citizenship and Community Service Scholarship Program
If you’re a Venture Communications customer, and your son or daughter is going to be a graduating high school senior going on to a post-secondary school, encourage them to apply for our scholarship.
We award $500 scholarships to qualifying high school seniors. We will award 12 in 2017.
2017 Guidelines and Application
Students must be a graduating high school senior in 2016. The student's parent or legal guardian must reside in and be an active telephone subscriber within a Venture Communications telephone exchange. Student must have a cumulative B average or above grade point average.
Scholarships are awarded based on citizenship, community service, academics, and school involvement. They’re awarded prior to the start of the second semester of the first year students are enrolled in a post-secondary school or Vocational Technical Institute.
Application, Deadline, and Requirements
Download our scholarship application (PDF) and follow these instructions:
- Complete the application. (Applicants will be disqualified for not filling out parts of application and attaching separate pages.)
- Provide photo for use in the Venture Communications newsletter and press release.
- Provide grade transcript for junior and senior year.
- Provide copies of the ACT test scores.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from Faculty and/or Administration of High School or Employers. Letters of recommendation should support the information provided in the application.
- All materials in the scholarship application should be printed on one side of the paper only.
Mail complete application to:
Venture Communications P.O. Box 157 Highmore, SD 57345
Applications are due in our office no later than March 6, 2017.
For more information contact your local high school counselor's office or Venture Communications at 852-2224.
A combination of area high school officials, business people from our exchanges, and members, staff, and directors of the Venture Communications judge applications. We use the following judging criteria:
- Citizenship and Community Service
- School Involvement
- Leadership Skills
- Appearance of Application
Scholarship Award Presentation
We award scholarships during commencement or award presentations at the respective schools when possible. We make the scholarship check out to the scholarship recipient.
2017 Scholarship Recipients
Looking for other scholarship opportunities?
The Foundation for Rural Service awards national scholarships in the amount of $2,500, $500 of which is contributed by Venture Communications when the recipient is from our service area. This scholarship gives preference to students expressing interest in working in a rural area after graduation. All applicants must have a parent or legal guardian who is an active Venture Communications member.